pic

pic

Saturday, March 19, 2011

Sarah's project is complete!

The project I've been working on for the last couple of weeks is finished and has been given to the birthday girl! YAY! She loved it so it was exactly what it was supposed to be.

Now, as promised, here's the info: For background, there are a few things you need to know. First, Sarah has Cystic Fibrosis (look it up and learn more here http://www.cff.org/AboutCF/) and, although her mother does not recall telling her this, Sarah was not expected to live past the age of 19. Her 30th birthday was yesterday and it's kind of a big deal. 30 is a big deal anyway but...

Also, Sarah loves the color red and she adores hearts (her favorite holiday of all time is Valentine's Day) and a majority of her jewelry features hearts in some way, shape, or form. This has the affect that it is really quite impossible to not be happy around her since red hearts and happiness tend to go together pretty well.

Lastly, you need to know the story of a little boy who had Cystic Fibrosis and who overheard his mother talking about it on the phone one day. When she was done talking, he asked his mother "what is sixty-five roses?" You see, he thought she had said "65 roses" instead of Cystic Fibrosis. Now children with CF are taught to say "65 roses" instead of cystic fibrosis because it's a lot easier to say. Thus 65 roses have become the symbol of CF.

OK, and now for the project:

I knew I wanted to make some sort of wall hanging or quilt or something that had 30 hearts representing Sarah's first 30 years of life and 65 roses to represent CF. I found differently cut wooden hearts at a craft store and decided on a wall hanging. So I bought 30 wooden hearts, some paint, some ribbon, and some glue and went to town.





Then I started ordering all different kinds of roses on etsy. I also found some roses in the form of earrings and necklace pendants, hair clips, etc. I ordered them all!!! MUAHHAHAHAHAHA!!!! (OK, so I admit I started getting a little obsessed with the roses but I promise that I have since stopped buying things with roses on them.)

Here's the beginning of my rose stash (this was the very beginning!).



Then I put it all together. :)

Here's the final product on the wall at Sarah's apartment with Sarah (and Griffey who also liked the wall hanging quite a bit and promptly started licking and chewing it).



Here's a video with close-ups of the final product. You'll have to tilt your head to see it as I have yet to figure out how to rotate a video (I figured out the rotating of the pictures at least!).

1 comment:

Peggy said...

Clever, Charming and Totally Cool!