pic

pic

Saturday, May 28, 2011

more fun in the kitchen...breakfast

Today I woke up and decided I wanted something fun for breakfast. My usual is almond butter with some type of jam and fresh strawberries on WASA crackers and while I love it, I wanted something else today.

So, I looked in my fridge, had a cup of coffee, and thought about it for a while. I didn't really feel like having pancakes but that seemed to be the obvious choice. Hm. What to do? Well, consulting the "Joy of Cooking" is always a good start.

The results are below. I stuck with my usual almond butter, added the organic rhubarb jam (with ginger and plum brandy) I found at the farmer's market last week, plus my trusty mango butter from Trader Joe's and I made a Crepe Cake.

As many of you know, I see recipes as a starting point/suggestion so I did not follow it precisely but the result is still quite yummy: I didn't have milk so I substituted soy milk, I didn't double the recipe since I don't have 8 people to feed this morning, I made tiny crepes instead of 8" ones, and I topped it with powdered sugar instead of regular sugar. I used the almond butter as a base layer and then alternated between the rhubarb jam and the mango butter. It's really tasty. :)

Next time, maybe I'll make a savory one with cheese, leeks, and spinach. That sounds delicious too!







1 comment:

AC said...

you've gotta move closer to us.