I have made major locational changes in my life. Germany to Boston for college, Boston to Ohio for law school, Ohio to Northern California a couple of years ago for work. These big moves are always exciting, always challenging, and never easy.
The first couple of moves were such that I had immediate, built-in friends (college and law school will do that for you) but the last one was a little different. Granted I had built-in, immediate connections with people at work since that's why I moved out here in the first place, but I'm the kind of person who likes to have my work life and my personal life be a little separate. (I have to add here that some of my closest friends in California are from work - were from work since I no longer work with them. So I guess now they're friends, not work-friends. Yay!)
It also always takes me a little while to settle into feeling like I actually live in a new place. I always forget how long it takes to feel that way. Typically, I feel like a stranger in a place until I can confidently give directions when asked, run into people I know on the street, and feel like a regular fixture in my neighborhood.
After 2 years of living in California, I realized just the other day that I have achieved this settled feeling. I feel like I actually live here now, not like I'm pretending to live here.
You see, recently, as I was walking the 5 or 6 blocks home from what I am calling my local "Biergarten" (outdoor patio, beer, casual, fun atmosphere, lots of regulars and locals), I was stopped 3 times by different people along the way who all either live or work in my neighborhood, know me, wanted to say hi and chat for a moment. (One called to me from across the street, ran over and hugged me. Another came out of the restaurant when I walked by to say hi.)
It made me really really happy. It also made for a very pleasant walk home, stopping to chat, feeling like I really do live here in this neighborhood. Realizing that people here know me and are genuinely happy to see me when I happen to pass by. I feel like I'm home now.
1 comment:
That is so great! Makes me very happy to read this!! Mom
Post a Comment