I'm spending the morning working from my local coffee shop. I decided I needed a change of scenery - because apparently I haven't had enough of that lately... No, it's just that my cleaning lady is at my place and I don't like to be there when she's cleaning. I feel like I'm in the way.
Anyway, I'm at a coffee shop. There is music playing as there is in all stores and coffee shops and restaurants these days. As a side note: have you ever wondered what it would be like if there wasn't any music playing? Would that affect you in any way? Would you even notice?
Ok, back to the current situation. So, there's music playing. The shop is fairly busy, most tables are taken. People are working, talking, reading, etc.
There is one woman at one table who is full on dancing to the music that is playing. She has a book in front of her but she hasn't paid attention to it at all, at least not from what I can tell. Instead, she's sitting in her chair, dancing to the music. Smiling, enjoying herself.
Now, what is interesting to me is that everyone sees her, walks by her, makes sure not to make eye contact with her. Everyone seems to be thinking, "oh wow, stay away from the crazy lady!"
Why? Why do we assume that someone who is enjoying the music and is free enough to dance to that music when it moves her is crazy or dangerous? Maybe she's really just having a wonderful time!
I'll admit that I, myself, initially avoided making eye contact but now I can't stop watching her. I caught her eye and smiled at her and she just smiled back and continued dancing.
Maybe she's nuts. Maybe she's weird.
But maybe she is exactly what we should all be: free enough to hear, appreciate, enjoy, and act on her impulse to dance to the music around her.
No comments:
Post a Comment