pic

pic

Monday, April 25, 2011

just a little nutty

I woke up at 4am today from a disturbing dream, in which I felt the whole world around me vibrating slightly. The problem was that I was the only one who felt it and it was causing disorientation, wooziness, and I felt like I was going crazy.

I woke up still slightly dreamy and realized I still felt it. I couldn't decide if it was just the lingering effects of the dream or if I really felt something. There was definitely some kind of low frequency rumbling happening so I got up and went to my living room window.

There it was. A big garbage truck sitting across the street (on the other side of the little park mind you), idling. The low rumble of the big truck's engine is what I was feeling/hearing.

I've already discussed my hyper-sensitivity to sound on this blog but COME ON!!!!! Really? That woke me up??? Well since it woke me up and it was a terrifying dream and it was 4am, I was very annoyed. I sat on my couch looking out the window, willing the truck to drive away, until the damn thing finally left. The sound slowly subsided as the truck drove farther away and I went back to bed.

I was almost back to sleep, could still hear a faint rumbling, when it got a little louder because the garbage truck was on the next block. This means it was on the other side of my apartment, the side where my bedroom window is, separated not by a park but one other building.

The good news is that the truck was actually moving, emptying garbage bins, not just sitting and idling, so the sound subsided fairly quickly.

Once the truck was out of the neighborhood, I fell into blissfully silent sleep.

The problem now is that the dream has stuck with me. It was really disturbing to feel and hear something very real that nobody else felt or heard.

In real life, I'm glad I found the source of the sound. The fact that I heard it and it woke me up is still a bit disturbing.

So, today I'm a little tired and I fully accept I'm a little nutty. These things happen.

No comments: